Next week a federal program is starting across several chain pharmacies to distribute and administer the Covid-19 vaccine. As a result, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Kroger, and CVS mount an aggressive hiring program. They look to hire licensed pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, health care students, nurses, and other administrative staff. The chains are also reaching out to colleges looking for recent grads in the health care sector as vaccinators. Depending on the location and demand, drug stores hiring are giving signing bonuses in the 5 figures are being reported.
Drug Stores Have High Targets to Fill
The Pharmacists website, AphA reports that CVS has been on the hunt for pharmacists and pharmacy techs since last October. Hy-Vee stated intentions to bring on 1,000 pharmacy technicians. CVS looks to fill 15,000 positions. Kroger and Rite Aid are both looking to fill about 1,000 jobs each. Walgreen’s has targeted the recruitment of 9,000 people; so far, they have filled 7,500 positions.
We’re hiring in central #Florida! Meet our team during a virtual hiring event on 2/11 to learn more about current openings! To register, visit: https://t.co/VbMtXCmWBK #nowhiring #florida #floridajobs #pharmacy #healthcare #leadership #walgreens #careerfair pic.twitter.com/5ApSrJtztS— Walgreens Jobs (@WalgreensJobs) February 4, 2021
JOB ALERT: Rite Aid is hiring 5,000 associates for full and part-time positions to meet increased demands due to the COVID-19 pandemic.https://t.co/bLnfKGbhrU— WXYZ Detroit (@wxyzdetroit) April 7, 2020
The U.S. vaccination drive is entering a new phase this week as more doses are sent to pharmacies. To prepare, drugstores are going on a hiring spree, with some offering pharmacists five-figure signing bonuses.https://t.co/qWroCJ3khu— The New York Times (@nytimes) February 10, 2021
Pharmacies Partaking in the Federal Retail Pharmacy Program
The Centers for Disease Control is instituting the Federal Retail Pharmacy Program for COVID-19 Vaccination. This program collaborates between the federal government, states, territories, and 21 national pharmacy chains and independent pharmacy networks. It aims to increase access to COVID-19 vaccination across the United States. As vaccine availability increases over time, the program will grow to include all 40,000+ pharmacies eventually. The following is a list of the retail pharmacies in each state receiving vaccines through this program during the week of February 8, 2020.
- Walgreens (including Duane Reade)
- CVS Pharmacy, Inc. (including Long’s)
- Walmart, Inc. (including Sam’s Club)
- Rite Aid Corp.
- The Kroger Co. (including Kroger, Harris Teeter, Fred Meyer, Fry’s, Ralphs, King Soopers, Smiths, City Market, Dillons, Mariano’s, Pick-n-Save, Copps, Metro Market)
- Publix Super Markets, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corp.
- Albertsons Companies, Inc. (including Osco, Jewel-Osco, Albertsons, Albertsons Market, Safeway, Tom Thumb, Star Market, Shaw’s, Haggen, Acme, Randalls, Carrs, Market Street, United, Vons, Pavilions, Amigos, Lucky’s, Pak n Save, Sav-On)
- Hy-Vee, Inc.
- Meijer Inc.
- H-E-B, LP
- Retail Business Services, LLC (including Food Lion, Giant Food, The Giant Company, Hannaford Bros Co, Stop & Shop)
- Southeastern Grocers
- Topco Associates, LLC (including Acme Fresh Markets, Associated Food Stores, Bashas, Big-Y Pharmacy and Wellness Center, Brookshire’s Pharmacy, Super One Pharmacy, FRESH by Brookshire’s Pharmacy, Coborn’s Pharmacy, Cash Wise Pharmacy, MarketPlace Pharmacy, Giant Eagle, Hartig Drug Company, King Kullen, Food City Pharmacy, Ingles Pharmacy, Raley’s, Bel Air, Nob Hill Pharmacies, Save Mart Pharmacies, Lucky Pharmacies, SpartanNash, Price Chopper, Market 32, Tops Friendly Markets, ShopRite, Wegmans, Weis Markets, Inc.)
- CPESN USA, LLC
- GeriMed (long-term care and retail pharmacies)
- Good Neighbor Pharmacy and AmerisourceBergen Drug Corporation’s pharmacy services administrative organization (PSAO), Elevate Provider
- Health Mart Pharmacies
- Innovatix (long-term care pharmacies)
- LeaderNET and Medicine Shoppe, Cardinal Health’s PSAOs
- Managed Health Care Associates (retail and long-term care pharmacies)