(StatePoint) According to the Energy Information Administration, heating bills for homes that use natural gas could be significantly higher this winter – perhaps by as much as 50%. Why? Based on recent weather trends, colder temperatures are expected, which not only boosts the energy your home needs to stay warm but quickly raises the demand for those resources as well. Weathering your house to ensure it stays comfortable during the long winter season is a great way to save money on heating and help control possible increased costs on your utility bills. Here are five easy ways to keep your home cozy all winter long.
Tips to Save Money on Heating and Keep Cozy All Winter
- Maximize Heating Options: Unpredictable weather can cause outages, so it’s best to prepare with alternative ways to heat your home. A log fireplace is lovely, but for those without one, it may be best to invest in a gas heating alternative, like an individual heater or small generator.
- Temperature Control: Bringing those utility bills down means keeping the warm air inside. Shifts in temperature can cause wood to expand or contract, creating tiny cracks or leaks which need to be filled. Duck Brand Foam Weatherstrip Seals form the perfect barrier from drafts with self-adhesive foam strips to ensure utility bills remain low with minimum effort and maximum savings. These heavy-duty strips protect year-round by blocking dust, pollen, and insects.
- Swap Your Furnace Filter: Trapped dust and dirt in your furnace filter can cause low air flow and limit your furnace’s ability to function when you need it most appropriately. This can unnecessarily raise the temperature of your heat and cause energy bills to skyrocket. A simple filter change on your furnace and air conditioning units as often as once a month can help maintain excellent airflow.
- Create a Barrier in the Garage: While many homeowners concentrate on preventing drafts by their front door, they often forget about the largest opening in their house – the garage. Protect against snow, water, and cool winter air from entering your garage with a Duck Brand Garage Bottom Seal. This heavy-duty, waterproof rubber seal won’t freeze or crack and creates a tight, protective border all year.
- Cover Exterior Access Locations: Built-in pet doors and mail slots often go overlooked. Lower your energy bill by covering those spaces, and opt for alternative options when taking out your pets and receiving mail.
For more information, visit DuckBrand.com.
Staying prepared for any shift in weather is always something homeowners should prioritize. With some quick tricks and the right products, weatherizing your home doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. Consider using solar power too. It works even in the coldest winters.
How-To Video to Seal Windows During the Winter
If you have a cabin or cottage that you keep open all winter, you know that it’s a frustrating ordeal to save money on heating when you are not around. One way is to seal windows that may be drafty. This will have a payoff all season long.
Final Thoughts on How To Save Money On Heating
When winter hits, especially in the northeast, keeping your house comfortable becomes a balancing act. You want to be safe and warm while being cost conscious and efficient. Keeping tabs on how your home is functioning and having the right products at hand can help you stay within comfy temperature levels and keep your bills down this winter. While some people may require a more personalized plan for their particular living situation, these ideas will surely hit on some possible solutions to help you this winter.
There are plenty of ways to save on heating your home, but it all comes down to how much time, money, and effort you’re willing to put into the task. Some energy companies are using more creative ways to pay for every bill, including cryptocurrency, such as to buy Ethereum. Of course, there’s no way to avoid higher heating bills this winter; it’s just going to happen. However, making simple changes to your home’s heating system and habits can help get you through at a lower cost.
Related Reading and to Save Money on Heating
How To Skip-The-Lines, Save Money, and See an Amazing Vatican Museum – In Vatican City, there is an outstanding museum called the Vatican Museum. It was founded by Pope Julius II in the early 16th century and housed the world’s most important masterpieces, including Renaissance art. The work is simply unique and stunning. There is so much to see, including the iconic and exquisite ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, which was painted by Michelangelo, a young sculptor who was just 33 years old and had never painted a wall before. The Vatican Museum is the world’s largest and third most visited museum. The museum houses around 70,000 items, 20,000 on display, 54 galleries, and 6,882,931 visitors in 2019.
What to do after a car crash if your car or truck is damaged – Being involved in a vehicle accident can be a stressful experience. We consulted with a major automotive manufacturer on the steps that they instruct their employees to take should they ever have the unfortunate experience of being in a crash. Here are the top tips on what to do after a car crash.